Last Friday ( the 15Th) was a very special day for me.. why you may ask, 17 years ago on that date I was diagnosed with diabetes. It was Mothers Day and I remember I had been sick for over a week. My Mom sent my Dad and my brothers to his Mom's (Nan) and then to see her Parents while see stayed home with me. When my Dad got to my Mom's parents my uncle told my Dad about a his bosses daughter who had just been diagnosed with lead poisoning and I had all the same symptoms. So my Dad called my Mom who then called the night time pediatrics that was right next to Alta View hospital. They told my Mom to bring me right in, well since I had been throwing up and peeing my bed a lot my Mom decided to give me a bath first and comb my hair. When we walked in the door they had an ambulance waiting for us, they had me go pee in a cup and then they IV'd me and put me in the ambulance all with out explaining to my Mom what was going on or what was wrong with me. On the way to Primary Children's I remember being strapped to the stretcher and needed a drink really really really bad so they opened up a bottle of really gross water I had a sip and they charged us like $35. The next thing I remember is waking up in a room that was full of machines and beeping noises.
I don't really remember much of the week I spent in the hospital, I do remember someone gave em a slinky and My Mom and I would race it down the stairs. I remember my Grandma coming a spending a day with me so my Mom could go home and take care of the house.
all though at the time it was a life changing and traumatic thing to happen, I don't really care or even think much about it now. It is part of my life and to me it has always been this way. Jedd and I were talking the other night and he said to me " You know what I forget most the time that you are diabetic". I am a person living with a disease I am not a disease living in a person. I control it ( sometimes :P) it doesn't control me. It has made me a stronger person, it made me grow up sooner than I would have liked, But I don't' mind. I like the person I am because of it.
2 comments:
Cool post. :)
You know, I'm like Jedd. I forget you have it, too, until you pull out your 'video game'! :)
Has it already been 17 years? WOW!! I remember not being able to play with you for awhile, but I had NO idea what was going on! You seem to remember alot! Love ya girl...
Post a Comment